Dry January Results!
Dry January: giving up ALL alcoholic beverages for a full month. Why the heck would anyone do this? Supposedly this trend got started about five years ago when a company in the UK thought it would be healthy for its employees – a way to ‘detox/cleanse’ your system especially after the over indulgent holidays. It caught on like wildfire and repeats every year, though who knows how many people make it through the whole month…Why did I decide to do it? A few reasons:
1. I love a challenge, I love pushing my comfort zone to try/learn something new.
2. My grand-father (Ginger’s father) was a severe alcoholic who actually died from cirrhosis of the liver at the age of 47. Because I enjoy wine/cocktails so much there was always an underlying concern within me – do I have a problem?? Could I easily stop?
3. At least five pounds creeped up on me over the year, and I saw this as an opportunity to lose some weight.
Having made the decision to do this, I was determined to be just as much fun and not bow out of any social invitations. Peter was not participating in this, which made it even more interesting!
- Did I make it through the whole month? You bet your ass I did!
- Did I ever cheat? No, not one sip.
- Was it hard, was I craving a drink? Considering I usually drank 4-5 nights/week, it was remarkably easy and I was not ‘dying’ for a drink.
- Did I avoid bars? Not at all. Peter and I met friends for dinner on multiple occasions, I sat at bars for dinner when away on business, I even went to a concert at a bar in Cambridge.
All in all, this was a positive experience. I am very glad that I did it and would highly recommend it. (And who says it has to be January?) While I have always slept well and had plenty of energy, this took me to the next level of feeling fabulous all the time. By the end of the month, yeah, I was counting down the days to February, but no way was I going cheat!
MY SECRET TO SUCCESS: I fooled myself into thinking I was drinking a glass of sparkling rose. No joke. Being a very visual person, this worked for me – I would order “club soda in a wine glass – no ice – with a splash of pomegranate or cranberry juice – no straw – no lime”. I would hold the glass and sip it as if it were wine. Holding the wine glass satisfied me! Once a friend who met us for dinner and arrived after I ordered my drink thought I was drinking wine all night. 😉
WEIGHT LOSS: Hooray! I dropped 6 pounds! Truth be told, it was not only stopping alcohol, I also cut way back on carbs of all types.
NOW THAT IT’S FEBRUARY: No, I am not giving up alcohol, but after this experience I will definitely be drinking less. I have learned how much better I feel without it, and I certainly like how it contributed to me getting in better shape.
candy in your inbox
Enter your name and email below to get notifications
of new blog articles sent via email.
Leave a Reply