Back in 1974, Diane von Fuerstenberg designed a dress that would become one of her most famous creations: the wrap dress. It is feminine and sexy while still being appropriate for work or a night out on the town…..I love this bold navy/cream chain print that I found at Revolve and recently wore it to work…here are a few tips you may find helpful should you choose to wear a “wrap”:
- You may need to go up a size (I did) in order for the dress not to be too low cut…..in the past I would try these dresses on in my typical size and they never were right – going up a size made a huge difference.
- If you want to wear a camisole underneath, try a tan or beige that will ‘disappear’ and not distract from the flattering V-neck.
- Tie the self belt to the side (more flattering to the stomach) and tie it tightly – if tied tightly you should not need the cami, looks much better!
- Keep the length just above the knee, no shorter. (Shorter will look trashy, below knee will look dumpy)
- Avoid a completely flat shoe. To work I wore these blue patent pumps from Mad About Shoe; in the evening I would wear a higher heel – when the lights go down, the heel goes up!
I will definitely be on the lookout for another DVF wrap now that I have figured out the few tricks to make it work….at a recent charity event in Greenwich, CT I noticed a lovely woman wearing this exact same dress! My first thought was, bet she paid more than I did! Haha…….Then on a recent Pinterest search, look what I found………
On Diane, the multiple strands of pearls is an elegant look with the wrap that I can’t wait to try – and how cool does Michelle Obama look with her cute red pumps???
Have YOU worn a wrap dress? Ready to give it a try?