You CAN teach an old dog new tricks! Speaking from personal experience: a few years ago, I would never have considered wearing a plaid scarf with a striped shirt or skirt, never mind mixing prints to wear to work! But I have learned that it can look quite nice and it is a creative and visually interesting option. I remember noticing a woman in a train station last summer that wore a floral print shirt with checkered pants and she looked so put together and not “mainstream”. Look at my friend Karen in above pic, she mixes the plaid Burberry scarf and bag with a navy striped top – looks great. In photos of yours truly below, taken this week, I wore a polka dot blouse with a geometric print skirt – to work! Yes, it takes a bit of courage, but once you get the hang of it, it can actually be fun….
Here are some tips to start with:
– Stripes are an easy place to start; they can be mixed with a plaid or a floral.
– When mixing, use different types of prints together; such as a floral with stripe, polka dot with geometric, plaid with floral.
– Pay attention to color; either choose a color that is in both prints or have them contrast well, like black and hot pink…navy and coral…
– If one print is large scaled, use a contrasting smaller scale print.
– Animal prints are easily mixed with stripes, geometrics, florals.
Have you tried mixing prints? Would love to hear about the combinations that work for you…..