Several weeks ago, you may have read my post, ‘Black Watch Plaid Pants’, where I had Ginger’s Ralph Lauren plaid pants tailored so I could enjoy wearing them – and I certainly have! Many others are also enjoying black watch plaid this year – whether you are a teen or a twenty-something shopping at Madewell and JCrew, or a middle aged man/woman shopping at Brooks Brothers or Talbots, it is available for all! This plaid is a classic/preppy look, but you need not be the preppy type to wear it (I’m not!)…..Seen above is my friend Kate who recently found this JCrew schoolboy jacket at Revolve in Lexington – I love how she wore it with a red skirt and black patent belt, with a black and gold necklace for a bit of bling, her own signature look…..
- Do wear it with red, orange, or bright white!
- Avoid pairing it with khakis – while it is not horrible, it is a bit boring/predictable.
- For a festive look, wear black watch with a lace blouse/top – either black or white.
- Add a bit of edge – with a leather jacket, distressed jeans, or sexy shoes.
- Wear it with tweed! It’s a perfect mix of patterns.
Here’s a great urban look pairing a fashion sneaker with a watch plaid suit – could be a cool look for an ‘Upscale Casual’ party….I actually admired a woman wearing this last year and when I complimented her on it, she thanked me and shared that it was from a men’s department! While not all women could easily fit into men’s clothes, it is an interesting option to try!
As I was finishing this post on a Sunday afternoon, transitioning to preparing for a family dinner, in walks my brother-in -law……….. Black watch plaid is going viral. Maybe I can find a matching sweater for his dog! 🙂