When it comes to dressing for social occasions – even just dressing for dinner with your significant other – many men are stumped. They either dress for work, or they dress just plain ol’ casual.…..Sorry, guys, this lacks style and also lacks sex appeal…..There is a whole different level of dressing: Smart Casual, Upscale Casual, Casual Neat, Dressy Casual, Elegant Casual – they are all THE SAME. In the easiest way I can describe it, it means “look nice but not formal”. For many men, this may mean making some additions to your closet….not to worry – now is a great time to shop because many summer sales are underway….here are a some tips to keep in mind:
– Pay attention to fit. Many of your clothes are likely too big, partly because styles have changed… When you buy a shirt there should not be an extra six inches (or more) of fabric hanging over your midsection. Many manufacturers now make slim fit, much better for when you don’t want to tuck…..pants also should not have six extra inches that you can hold away from your leg, and nothing worse than a baggy butt!
– Look for variety in textures and colors…..fabrics beyond the plain cotton chinos – maybe a subtle stripe instead….try a linen shirt in a pastel color, or a linen blazer that you can wear with jeans or even shorts.
– Buy yourself new jeans. If your jeans are close to the color of the midday sky or ten years old, time to get a dark jean in a slimmer cut. Trust me.
– Try a new style shoe. If you only wear dress shoes or sneakers, time to try a loafer, dress boot, moccasin, or if you are daring, an espadrille (Toms). This time of year, always skip the socks.
– Explore labels beyond the common, avoid only wearing golf shirts with a ‘logo’…Peter has found some great things at the Nordstrom Rack.
Other than the first photo (vacation), these are ‘what he wore’ out to grab a bite in the evening – not too conservative (work), and not to casual (yard work). What do you think???