The Heck With ‘Age-Appropriate’
After you finish reading this piece, I hope that you will never again ask the question, “Am I too old for this?”
The only person that should determine what is right for you is YOU. Sure, some style experts may set rules for those over 50: no miniskirts, no strapless dresses, no high heels, no crop tops! Well – rules were made to be broken! This is not to say that certain choices may be off-putting to some, but who are you really aiming to please?
Dressing with respect to the occasion is something that I have always believed to be important – professional dress for work, conservative dress for a funeral, etc…but when it comes to after hours and ‘play’ time, I say rules go out the window and you should dress to please yourself.
You still feel uncertain? Try to keep these points in mind:
- Be true to your own style – You know what you like, you know what makes you feel good…don’t try to be someone you’re not……maybe you never liked strapless dresses, maybe you are a conservative gal….by the time you reach 50 you probably have your favorite labels, perhaps you prefer skirts over pants, or vice versa…. you may like more tailored clothes over feminine, or maybe you are a glamour queen! Please yourself.
- Tacky dressing comes in all ages – How quickly our society will judge a mature woman in a too short skirt and/or a too tight top…..regardless of your age, tacky is tacky. Any age can make poor choices. Pay attention to balancing sexy pieces with conservative ones and you can’t go wrong…wear a tight top with a loose bottom, or vice versa. On the other hand, head to toe ‘hot’ might be your choice for certain situations – it’s what YOU feel good in.
- Perfection is not the goal – As we age, it is natural that our bodies change….hair goes gray, skin thins, age spots develop, etc….some things we can alter if we so desire, some things we accept….like wrinkly knees! – as Cindy Crawford once said, it’s like I need to pull up my pantyhose but I’m not wearing any! Does that mean we should never wear shorts? Heaven forbid someone sees knee wrinkles? Or how about your arms – are they a bit flabby? You need not give up wearing sleeveless. Go for brightly colored tops and accessorize with bold jewelry to draw the attention elsewhere. It’s not always the perfect face/body that looks fabulous – it’s how you carry yourself.
- Looking young is not the goal – When you are getting dressed to go out, you obviously want to look your best…. to be well put together, stylish, attractive – but not for looking like you blend in with the younger generation – being over 50 has it’s own appeal – confidence and sophistication.
- Know your assets – In addition to knowing your own personal style/preferences, you need to know what looks best on you. What’s your best feature(s)? Show it off! Regardless of your age, you can tastefully show cleavage, shoulders, your legs, or wear a body conscious dress…..feel better covered up? There are many loose, exotic long sleeved options – you need not show skin to look like a goddess!
As a perfect example in closing, here is a recent photo of businesswoman and philanthropist, Yolanda Cellucci. As a woman well into her 80s, she still wears one-shoulder tops, strapless dresses, and high heels. She is true to her personal style and follow no rules but her own. Such an inspiration!
What do you say, ladies? Would love to hear your thoughts!
Work hard. Play hard. Enjoy every day.
candy in your inbox
Enter your name and email below to get notifications
of new blog articles sent via email.
Happy birthday Candy! You are an inspiration and simply a knock out! I’m with you!
Thank you for the kind words and birthday wishes! XOX