You decided what dress to wear (or what skirt/pants/top)….you decided on your shoes and your handbag….ready to rock and roll? No way! How about the finishing touches – jewelry, scarves, belts and more – all the details that personalize an outfit, turn a nice outfit into a “wow” outfit, and further define your ‘message’…..accessories can be fun, but making the choices on which to wear not always so easy….it isn’t just about what is pretty, it is about creating a specific look. Here are some Ginger-Bred tips to keep in mind…
- Big and bold or delicate jewelry is all about personal choice. Even for business attire, a bold piece is appropriate if other pieces are kept simple.
- Nobody knows what’s ‘real’ or not if you wear conservative small scaled jewelry. If you want to look upscale, this is definitely the way to go.
- A bare neck can be a great look – no need to always wear a necklace with a low cut or strapless dress. Wear statement earrings and an arm of bracelets. Done.
- If you are large chested, beware of infinity scarves which often end up adding bulk over your boobs. Not a good look!
- Never wear a ‘set’. Earrings that match necklace or matching bracelet? Uninteresting and aging. Mix it up!
- Decorate with your accessories! Where you can, use them as accents in your bedroom – that way you can enjoy them daily even if you wear them twice a year!
- Layer your accessories; wear multiple necklaces or bracelets that complement each other….add a scarf as your final layer, even if you remove it half way through the day…
- Don’t be a slave to belt loops! If you prefer your pants without a belt, remove the loops…OR wear a belt over a sweater or dress when there are no loops – experiment with belt widths to find the most flattering for your body type.
What is fun about accessorizing is that it’s all about YOU. Sure, many women may have bought that navy dress from Ann Taylor, but how you wear it is unique. It’s also fun to find accessories in odd places, off the beaten path – I have found great gloves and pins in antique shops, a fabulous scarf in a card shop, a necklace from a beach vendor, bracelets from hospital gift shops! Fine jewelry or fun jewelry – enjoy it all!
How about you? Bold or delicate when it comes to jewelry? What is your favorite accessory? Would love to hear!