Ok, ladies, no secret, you know I am a fan of wearing black. It is dramatic, it can make you look thinner, it can be serious, classy, edgy, sexy. It doesn’t show the dirt. 🙂 It goes with lots in your closet. Yay to black! My recent post, ‘Black On Black’, shows that you can take simple black separates and pull them together for a very “put together” look……but beware! Without attention to detail, all black can look like you are heading to an Italian (or Greek!) funeral, or that you are hiding in the darkness………that’s not you, right??? So how to look current and sophisticated in all black? Here are some tips to keep in mind……..
– Vary the textures of your separates; don’t wear all ‘flat’ black…mix different fabrics, leather, knits, cotton, cashmere – never ever all the same.
– Patterned stockings or a nude leg can be a great way to break up all the black.
– Pair a unique styled black jacket with a black pencil skirt for an ‘instant suit” that nobody else will have!
– Just because you have one black dress (or skirt, or pants) doesn’t mean stop there – having multiple black items of different styles is going to make getting dressed easier because you can mix and match.
– All black is a fabulous backround for dramatic accessories – scarves, earrings, belts, etc. Gold, silver, pearls – all work!
– You need not wear black shoes/boots with black clothes! Luggage color with black is an elegant and more interesting alternative; animal print shoes or two-toned shoes are also great.
Funny little story to end with: my dad is a very happy person, glass always half full…..he says when the day comes that he passes on and we attend his funeral, “I don’t want you girls wearing all black, I don’t want that look of mourning, rather have you in colorful clothes to celebrate my good life.”…….But Dad!!!! At least half my wardrobe and all my good clothes are black!!! Right???